Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The One Where I Was From Russia


June 23, 2014 

This week a man told me I speak Spanish like a Russian. Yupp. Well, he also told me I speak English like a Russian. (He doesn't speak English, but heard me speaking to his kids.) I HIGHLY doubt he knows a Russian who has learned Spanish by the which to compare me to—but apparently, I speak Spanish with a Russian accent. Go figure. I have also been told I speak Spanish like a Brazilian. I guess we can just conclude that I don't speak Spanish like a Hispanic. BUT, we can also conclude I don't speak Spanish like a Gringo. :)  

This week was just full of miracles. Full of them. The one I want to share is that of D. We tracted into her several weeks ago, but had been unable to really get in to teach her since that initial meeting. This week we passed by and decided to try, once again, and she was home and let us in. I noticed she was limping and asked if she was okay. She began to tell us her story. 

She was in a terrible car accident in February, in the which her brother and the other driver of the crash were both killed. She miraculously survived, after breaking all the major bones in her body, but has been charged with two counts of intoxicated manslaughter. She is only about 25 years old and has two young children. She misses her brother very much, but worries more for her mother, whom she said has been an example of strength through this hard time. We taught the Plan of Salvation and invited her to pray with us. It was a beautiful and sincere prayer in the which she pleaded for help from her Heavenly Father. At the end of the prayer she said: "You know, a lot of people come and knock of my door, but when I saw you guys I just knew that I had to let you in.  I feel like all this happened because God is trying to tell me something, and I feel like you are the ones who are here to tell me." We love her. And, we are so excited to teach her more.  

Being a missionary is just the happiest of all works! 

I love you all immensely.

Hna B 

[Editor’s Note:  I did not correct Hna B’s “the which” because I suspect it is a Spanish to English translation quirk that she is unique to her experience.]

No comments:

Post a Comment