Monday, July 14, 2014

The One with the Restoration


July 14, 2014 

It has seemed to me that we have taught the Restoration more times this week than ever before –which is my favorite thing to do ever, so it was great!  

I wanted to share one story from a certain miracle lesson this week, about J and A: 

J was a referral we received several weeks ago, from MTC headquarters, saying he wanted a BoM. We had tried him several times, but had been unsuccessful. We decided to try him again and his wife let us in, but informed us he was asleep. We began to talk with her and she said: "You know, it is very strange. I was just thinking about you when you knocked on the door; I mean RIGHT as you knocked on the door.  I thought 'the muchachas haven’t come back . . . I wonder if they will ever come again', and then you knocked on the door." Right about then her husband came downstairs, having been woken up because he heard us talking. (THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES IN THIS WORLD MY FRIENDS.)   

We asked if they knew much about the Church and J said, "Mucho."  Usually when people say "mucho" it is because they heard some rumors or anti-Mormon info on the internet. But, he told us he had talked with missionaries briefly before and had been to the Temple Square tour and spent much time in Utah and even wanted to move there at one time. We asked how it was we received the referral for him and he told us that a boy had come by to sell alarm systems (classic Mormon boy job).  After he had done his alarm thing, it was brought up that he was from Utah.  As he was on his way out the door J said, "You must be Mormon then!" The boy replied: "Yes, and what do you know about them?"  He went and sat back down at the kitchen table and talked with J for several more hours.  

J loved him--said they became great friends in those few hours they talked about religion. The boy told him he wanted to serve a mission, and that he couldn’t answer all his questions, but he knew some people who could and asked if the missionaries could come by (I don’t even know who this boy is, but I LOVE him).  He also asked if the next day he could bring him a Book of Mormon. J agreed to all of the above.  When the boy came by the next day J said he held the book out, but when J grabbed onto it, the boy wouldn’t let go.  J said the boy looked him in the eyes and said: "You don’t understand how much this means to us. I will only give it to you if you promise me you will read it." J was so impressed by his dedication, and J told us how much he admired him. (Is that not the best member missionary you have ever heard of? I am so proud of that boy!) The boy asked if he wanted missionaries who spoke Spanish or English.  J replied that it did not matter (even though he speaks much more Spanish than he does English).  J then looked at us, chuckled, and said: "Looks like he sent ones who speak both." :) 

We asked if we could teach them about where the Book of Mormon came from and they obliged. They listened intently as we explained the Restoration of the gospel. Tears formed in A's eyes at a couple of times. At the end of the lesson I said:  "Hermanos, we have a living prophet on the earth. We aren’t perfect. We are young. We are inexperienced. We can’t really speak Spanish. We are weak.  But, we have been called by a prophet of God to declare what we DO know; and, we know that our message is true (what missionary can name the page in PMG that that is found on?).   I have been a missionary for a year and a half and have dedicated my life to teaching this. I am returning home is two weeks, my mission here in Texas has come to an end, and in these last few weeks I feel more than ever to declare to EVERYONE that this is the truth! That it will change their lives (by this point I was very emotional, as were they)! Will you please read this book?"  

They both looked at me and affirmed that they would. J said: "I believe in the book.  I have seen so many young people like you, and I have always wanted to talk to them. If you dedicate yourself to this, how can it not be true?  If you are leaving in 2 weeks, does that mean we will never see you again?" I assured them I would be returning before those two weeks were up.  

We are going over tonight to teach them. The Church is true.  

I love you all, 

Hna B 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment