Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The One Where I Trio Train – July 22, 2013


Hna Burnham, Hna Koch, Hna Parry

IT’S A GIRL!

This week Hna Parry and I found out we were trio training.  It was very unexpected because we were both SO SURE Hna Parry was going to leave. But, alas, Hna Parry is still here and we have a new child.  Her name is Hna Koch. She is from Cali, about 30 minutes away from where Hna Parry lives.  She is like a little ray of sunshine.  She is so bubbly and cute.  She adds a whole new dynamic to our companionship.  We both love her a lot and are so excited about this upcoming transfer. I  must say, though, it is weird having three people. Sometimes things such as walking on sidewalks and knocking doors are a little awkward because all three of you do not fit together. Also, things such as running away from dogs – You guys know how I am.  I have been a mother since I was like 6 years old, and so I always become the sacrificial lamb and fight off the dogs while the other two run or cower.  Es la vida.

This week was a good one. We had some awesome, powerful lessons with Erika, Marta, and a new investigator named Alex. Alex is this super weird kid.  He is one of a kind. WE LOVE HIM. He has the most outrageous ideas and uses such advanced, unique vocabulary.  He is SO fun to teach.  His Dad died about a week ago. Did I write home last week about finding this family?  I don't remember.  Anyway, he is an awesome kid and has definitely been prepared by the Lord to hear about His restored gospel.

Our purpose as missionaries is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, Baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end, right?  We want all people that we teach to enter the waters of baptism. We know how much this will change their lives. One of the things I have had to remember though, one thing that Maria and Florencio taught me, was that even if they exercise their agency contrary to the things you have taught them, it doesn't mean you have failed as a missionary.  In 1 Corinthians 1:17 Paul says: "For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel."  OF COURSE we want to bring people to the waters of baptism; it is in our purpose! But, so is bringing them unto Christ.  Sometimes missionaries look so much at the baptism part, they forget the bringing them unto Christ part. We don't want baptism; WE WANT CONVERSION.

I love you all. You are in my prayers.  Moroni 8:3 (HA!  When I initially wrote that scripture, I wrote Mormon 8:3.  If you want a good laugh, go read that and imagine if that was the scripture I used to end this email, haaaa!)

Hna Alivia Burnham

 

No comments:

Post a Comment