Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The One with the Woman from Pakistan Who’s Name I Don’t Even Know

May 19, 2014 

What a great week! I didn’t have a voice for all of it. It made being a missionary very interesting, but hey, I loved it.  

I have a confession.  I have fallen in love on my mission—with Canyon Lakes! This area is just so great. The ward is absolutely amazing and unlike any ward I have yet been in on my mission. I kinda feel like I am in an English ward.....it is weird and I don’t really know how to do work with the ward because I have never had to work in a ward like this before! All of my wards have been so wonderful, but this ward is like SUPER EFFICIENT.  Like WOW.  

The title of my week comes from a little thing that happened about 15 minutes ago:  We came into the computer room of our apt complex to email and one of the computers was occupied. I told Hna Jensen she could go ahead and start her emailing on the other computer and I sat down to wait for the other. The woman using the other computer was listening to a video in a language that I didn’t understand. When the video was over I said: "Where are you from?" (As missionaries it is the goal to talk with everyone, right?  So, I took advantage of the opportunity, haha).  She said she was from Pakistan, and I said:   "AH! Really!?  Shucria!  Sib!  Pani!" (aka all the things I learned from G and S).  She started laughing and asked where I had learned those words (which by the way mean “thank you”, “apple”, and “water” . . . so it isn’t like I said a logical sentence or anything).   

I told her that I am a missionary and about our relationship with S and G, how we couldn’t communicate, but how we just all loved each other so much.  We then proceeded to talk about life for a good 20 minutes.  She was great.  Well, she got off the computer and she left. I commenced my emailing on the computer.  After she had been gone for about 10 minutes, she walks back in the computer room carrying a container. She walks up to me and says:  "I made this yesterday. When you said that that family would feed you I thought maybe to give it to you. But, I thought, maybe I shouldn’t offer it right away; but then you said you are a missionary, but I still didn’t offer it.  But then I left and I felt like God told me to come and give it to you . . . because you are a missionary,  and I have been away from my home for a long time and it is hard to do that.  And you come to this strange place and have to meet all kinds of people and . . . and so I thought, maybe this could help."   I stood up and hugged her.  

How wonderful is this human race?  Yes, there is so much bad--people who do terrible things; but, sometimes I think we forget to look for all of the good.  

Love,

Hna B

 

No comments:

Post a Comment