Saturday, March 30, 2013

The One with the Dry Erase Markers -- 03/28/13


Hola Family and Friends!

Today marks day 15 that I have been in the MTC.  WOW time flies. Actually, now that I write that, two weeks really isn't that long of a time!  But hey, just be impressed, okay? :)  I have an English keyboard today, so sorry mom, no deciphering Russian into English today.

First off, let me say thank you to everyone for the letters. I begged last week for letters and MAN you guys delivered! I applaud and thank you. Nowwwwww, please don't stop! Haha.  DearElder is seriously such a wonderful tool. Utilize it, please!  We are given these amazing things for a reason -- and that reason is to write Hermana Burnham letters!  But seriously, thank you so much for all the love and support this week. I really, really appreciate it.  A special shout out to the YW in the ward for your package! That was great! Thank you so much. Love and miss you guys!

Let me tell you a little bit more about my district:

There are six Sisters and six Elders. I thought calling everyone Sister would be hard for me to get used to, but now it is weird to think about NOT using it. Sister and Elder: The most used word in a missionary's vocabulary. Everyone in my district is going to Chile except for two sisters who are coming to Houston with me! (Hermana Draper y Woodward). I am going to try and send some pictures this week, but it just depends on if I have time. Seriously a half an hour to email is LIMITED for all I feel like I need to say and do; but, obedience brings blessings.

Something I have realized about the MTC . . . everything is funnier -- literally everything. I love it. It is also funny how everything is funny.  For example, here is a story of  "you know you have been in the MTC too long":  I was walking around the halls with my companion while we debriefed a lesson we had just taught. All of the classrooms have peep holes and so you can see inside at what is going on, but they can't see out.   I'm creepy and sometimes I get bored, and so I will look through said peepholes. Well, I decided to stop and look into a random classroom. Two elders were in the front tossing a dry erase marker back and forth and the whole class was dying of laughter; I mean, maybe I didn't get the whole story there, but I am preeeeeeetty sure they were just laughing at the tossing-dry erase-marker elders. That is what I mean by everything is funnier in the MTC.  But, it is so great. Laughter helps everyone relieve the natural stress that comes with learning a language. It is great to be surrounded by laughter.
 
Not much happened this week. One kid went crazy and tore his clothes off and tried to escape, hahaha, so that was pretty interesting. Other than that, this week has been pretty low key. I am feeling more and more confident with Spanish each day.  I love how much I am learning and all the time we have to study the scriptures.  My teachers are THE BOMB.  Did I say that last week? I am not sure.  They really are the best.  (Bachelorette fans: Hermano Ferguson looks like Kalon from Emily's season, except he is the best guy ever.  Looks similar, personality, not at all.)  It is such a blessing to have such fabulous teachers.

I'm sorry my emails are so disconnected. I am racing the clock here. Seriously, there is a little countdown clock in the corner of the screen counting down my time. I am quite literally racing the clock.

 My last little tidbit. This week at devotional we sang a hymn that really struck me. I don't even remember what the song was called. But there was one line that was really great. It says:  "Teach me Lord to be thy Shepard; help me Lord to feed thy sheep."  It is my prayer that I will be what Heavenly Father needs me to be as I continue in this calling as His servant. I love this work. This is the true gospel of Jesus Christ.  The Book of Mormon is the word of God.  You guys, the Book of Mormon is so good.  My testimony of it grows each and every day. I have fallen in love with its teachings.  Read it daily, I beg.

I love you all.

Amor Siempre,
Hermana Alivia Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment