Monday, November 18, 2013

The One with the Week about Faith


November 18, 2013
Well, the bad news has arrived--Hna Hosking is getting transferred and my LIFE IS OVER. Not really, but I am super bummed about it. Only one transfer together? This is the pits. But I’m sure my next companion will be great just like the other 4 have been great!  I am not super excited about taking over Waller when I have only been out here one transfer though because GUESS WHAT, I don’t know how to get ANYWHERE.  My poor new companion is going to think I’m the worst.  Whoops.  I definitely slept during car rides. (#sorrynotsorry)
We had a good week. There was one particular subject that really seemed to be the theme of this week for me—that was faith. I was studying about faith and just really thinking a lot about faith.
We taught a lesson to a woman named D. She investigated the Church for a long time. We found her kinda by accident. But then again, there are no accidents as a missionary. We began teaching her and she had a LOT of doubts. She told us of an experience she had with the missionaries that was somewhat of a miracle. She said they watched a movie about a girl who doubted some things in her life and one day prayed for help. She opened her scriptures and there was a rose that she hadn’t seen before and it was like a book mark.  It lead her to read something she really needed. D told us that after the movie ended she opened her Book of Mormon and there, sitting in her scriptures, was the same rose that was just in the movie. She said everyone started crying because it was a miracle. She later decided not to join the Church.
It made me reflect on the critical importance of faith in our lives and how miracles never were and never will be any replacement for the needed characteristic of faith. Dad used to tell me all the time that if people don’t have faith than even miracles wouldn’t be enough.  I have now experienced that.
I was reading one day in Alma 32, aka “the faith chapter”, and these verses really caught my attention. How many times have I read Alma 32 in my life? About 3,000.  But, these stood out to me in a whole new light:
17 Yea, there are many who do say: If thou wilt show unto us a sign from heaven, then we shall know of a surety; then we shall believe.
 18 Now I ask, is this faith? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for if a man knoweth a thing he hath no cause to believe, for he knoweth it.
 19 And now, how much more cursed is he that knoweth the will of God and doeth it not, than he that only believeth, or only hath cause to believe, and falleth into transgression?
I am so grateful for the mercy of God in allowing us to trust in Him, instead of forcing knowledge upon us.  How condemned a people would we be otherwise?
I invite you all to grow your faith every day – to seek for the Lord in all things you do.  Just be trusting instead of doubtful. Faith fills you with peace. Doubt fills you with fear. Real life--I’ve lived it.
I love you all. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment