Monday, September 16, 2013

The One Where the Ward Threw a Part to Celebrate My 6 Month Mark


September 16, 2013

Okay here are some things I wrote down this week that I wanted to tell you:

1. A huge shout out to Mom, Zack, Ryan Litchfield, Grandma and Ray who all wrote me letters that got to me on the same day! So that was 5 letters in one day--a joyous surprise! Thank you!

 2. A woman in H3 (the Ward that shares the building with us) got attacked by a pack of 15 wild dogs. She was dragged up and down the street until someone saw and called the cops. It has been all over the news. Look it up if you don't believe me – and then believe me when I say . . . we RUN away from dogs. The woman is in the hospital and has some serious injuries, but should make a full recovery.  

3. Jodi Galland! Thank you SO MUCH for your package! That was such an unexpected surprise and totally made my day. I will write you back soon!

4. This week the Ward threw a party for my sixth month mark in the mission! Okay . . . soooo it was actually a Noche Latina (worldwide) that happened to be scheduled on my 6th month mark, but a girl can dream right? It was an awesome party. I love H5.

5. Speaking of H5, I had a little "moment" this week while sitting in church. I have been serving this ward for 5 months. Elder Mondragon and I are the only two who remain – everyone else has been transferred since the initial district I had when I first got here. I am the second oldest missionary for our Ward. I came down from playing the piano, and since (unfortunately) we didn't have any investigators at church that day I just chose somewhere random in the congregation to sit.   I sat next to one sister and grabbed onto her arm and laid my head on her shoulder. As I did that I thought: "Wow. I guess I’m not so new anymore. I am lying on her shoulder.  I can do that; these people are my family now."  I then looked out over the congregation at these people whom I have grown to love so very much, who have become so dear to me, and tears filled my eyes. I love H5.

Does anyone remember that line from “She's the Man” when the announcer is talking about the soccer game and goes – “Nothing but a couple of goose eggs here folks!” – talking about how the score is 0-0. Well, that is kind of how the last transfer and the first half of this transfer were. A couple of goose eggs when it came to investigators with baptismal dates.  Believe me, we tried. We asked, we begged, we cried (not really, just adding dramatic effect), but people just would not accept. UNTIL THIS WEEK.

E IS SO COOL. I am sure that we are going to be best friends for the rest of all eternity. I love this kid. He is getting baptized in November!!! Now please pray that everything works out accordingly.

He loves the scriptures. If we don't have a lesson with him one day he calls us that night to read and talk with him about what he is reading. The best part, in my opinion, is his scripture-reading voice. I used to read the scriptures in my head using my own voice, but now I read them using his voice--not even joking.  Imagine a super thug, recently released from prison, rapper-like man reading 1 Nephi 3:7 with super sweet enthusiasm and emphasis.  Its awesomeeeeee (*sing songy voice*)!  In our last lesson with him I looked at him and said "So, E, do you believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God?"  He just looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Well, how can it not be!?" Amen to that E. Amen to that.

Keep him in your prayers.

I love you all! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment